Sunday, December 26, 2010

Doors close and doors open

As of a couple of weeks ago, I have been unemployed.

It wasn’t really much of a surprise. For a while I hadn’t really been happy at the job, and I knew that the new manager wasn’t so happy with me either. I had actually been planning to quit within a few days, but essentially they beat me to the punch.

I would have preferred it be on my terms rather than theirs, but that’s probably more an ego thing than anything else.

The big disappointment actually came a few days after I left the job. I had been in negotiations for another job for quite a while - one which I believe was “custom-made” for me, and when I had the third meeting with the CEO (one day before I was let go from my job), he told me that this was moving forward and he really believed that “it was going to happen”. So I was fairly confident that things were on their way to working out.

Until the following week when the HR person called to tell me that the CEO had decided to re-evaluate the position and what exactly he expected from it. This, after several months of meetings, phone calls, and high hopes.

So I’m back on the proverbial market, and the truth is that I am pretty optimistic. There are a few tourism-related positions which I have seen advertised and to whom I have sent my CV. I have also sent my details to a number of positions which I have seen which would (if I’m hired) allow me to turn my newly-found love of writing into a full-time career.

I have also been toying with the idea of going freelance – writing, translating, and the like. I have a few ideas for freelance niches where it seems there is a need, and I believe that I would be able to meet that need pretty well.

I am especially attracted to the flexibility that freelancing would allow me and the time that I would be able to have with the kids.

To that end, I bought a used laptop computer last week (this is the first blog – or anything else for that matter, which I have written using the new/used computer). It’s my first laptop, so I’m still in the “learning what the hell I’m doing” phase with it. It’s not a great computer, but it was very inexpensive (a couple of people who know about these things better than I do agreed that the price was very reasonable), but it should be good enough to get me started. I am hoping that if I can get myself up and running as an independent this will make a big difference.

Of course, any leads from friends will be greatly appreciated, but all in all, while one chapter of my life has come to a close, I have a feeling that a lot of options and a lot of opportunities are right around the proverbial corner. Hope is springing eternal, and I look forward to sharing good news with you all very soon.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I am in a very similar position so I could definitely relate....

    Eric D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should start a club. Or maybe even a business together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that I always wish for the the best. I am really sorry for your losses. But as you know, losses become gains. As Tom Petty sang about, "It's the waiting that's the hardest part." It's gonna be OK.
    I just want to share my concern about freelancing WRT the flexibility and the hope of spending more time with the kids. In my experience, freelancing takes up *a lot* of time. You have to get to the gig, or find time alone & quiet at home to meet deadlines, that may require much more than the 9-5 normalcy. Also, when you don't have work, there is a lot of time spent on the phone & computer chasing down the next gig. They can be pretty short term deals. In short, freelancing can be more time consuming (and nerve-wracking) than a regular job, contrary to popular belief. Though, you might get more of the sort of work you want, and that has value, so it's a balancing act.

    Keep writing, keep sending out CV's, and pray for the right thing to come along. We are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to have seen your post on the Modiin list about the nasty posts concerning the ads at the mall. I think you worded it very nicely and I agree with you.
    I like your blog btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete